Crews have been hard at work at the White House to replace sod on the South Lawn and in the Rose Garden that was damaged during the Republican National Convention last month.
President Trump’s re-election campaign is paying for the repairs, The Washington Post reports, and White House spokesman Judd Deere confirmed the “sod is being replaced at no cost to taxpayers. Additionally, there has been other planned infrastructure work taking place on the south grounds.”
On Aug. 25, first lady Melania Trump spoke before a crowd of supporters in the Rose Garden, and a White House official told the Post that crews tried to protect the grass by placing turf on top of it. Two nights later, the president formally accepted the GOP nomination from a massive stage on the South Lawn, in front of 1,500 seated supporters. The area was also filled with giant television screens and large spotlights, all brought in on heavy equipment.
Typically, outdoor news conferences are held in the Rose Garden, but on Monday, Trump addressed reporters from the North Portico of the White House, to keep journalists from seeing one of the areas being worked on, the Post reports. Officials have not said how much the repairs will cost.
More stories from theweek.com
The true Election Day nightmare scenario
New York Times investigation sheds more light on bribery, corruption at Beirut port that set stage for deadly blast
The Lincoln Project’s inevitable ad on Trump’s toxic comments on U.S. troops uses his own slurs against him